‘Home’- Process

Concept

This brief is called ‘You are here’ and is asking for a sequence of 6 images based on my own subjective reading of the word ‘home’. (A sequence of photographs implies that they must relate to each other/flow/express a narrative). These words come to mind when I think of the word ‘home’:

• nostalgia
  • comfort
  • memories
  • family
  • belongings
  • safety

I wanted to explore this brief in more of an objective light- ‘You are here’ could relate to a sense of place. This made me think of the places where people live and the different buildings/architecture.

Influences

Andy Lock

This body of work is called ‘Sunlit Uplands and Affective Landscapes’. These photographs by Andy Lock are of British, post-war, council housing estates. These kind of estates flourished on the edges of large British towns and cities after the end of the second world war. They are representative of the normally overlooked vernacular, domestic architectures of the period. The quality of peripherality attracted Lock to these marginal, outlying places which are removed from the city centre to signify an ‘elsewhere’. This spatial context is when his Sunlit Uplands began.

‘…a dialogue between the spaces of past idealism and those of subsequent practice.’- Andy Lock

Lock, A. (2017) Sunlit Uplands & Affective Landscapes. Available from http://www.andylock.org.uk/sunlituplands/sunlit_two.html [accessed 29 March 2017].

IslBG
Council House, East Heckington, Summer 2011, by Andy Lock
gable_end
North Bransholme, Kingston Upon Hull, Summer 2011, by Andy Lock
andy-lock-sfw
Caravan, Nr Halifax Drive, Stocking Farm 2, Leicester 2011, by Andy Lock
near Halifax Drive, Stocking Farm, Leicester, Summer 2011, by Andy Lock

These photographs contain a lot of leading lines within the frame and are in black in white. They are quite minimalist and the housing areas look very tidy and almost un-inhabited because of how deserted they are. This relates to my concept of focusing on the architecture and not the human feelings around the word ‘home’.

Scott Benedict- 

This photographer does a lot of work around capturing architecture. There are quite dramatic angles, leading lines and perspectives which makes the image visually more interesting. I took an image of my ‘home’ (My student accommodation building) from a dramatic angle and then tried to edit in a similar way to Scott Benedict’s photographs.

la-cite-rateau-jean-renaudie-watch-scott-benedict-photography-black-white_dezeen_1568_1-1.la-cite-rateau-jean-renaudie-watch-scott-benedict-photography-black-white_dezeen_1568_7

My Response
My Response

Alternatives

I walked around Lincoln and took some photographs of different architectures, housing estates, streets, flats.

123-1123-2

Reflection

I liked exploring different architectures taken from interesting angles and perspectives. Similar to the work of Andy Lock and Scott Benedict, the lack of obvious humanity within my images creates a sense of isolation. However my images have a more positive and uplifting feel to them because of the vibrancy of the colours- especially the blue sky. The images I researched were very gloomy and gave off a more negative feel.